Tuesday, October 25, 2011

In Search of

   After watching the video posted up on the blog, it made me realize that even though it may seem that we are in charge of what we look for, in reality we are far from in charge of the internet. The thing is that there exist filter bubbles on certain search engines like Google, bing, and yahoo. Something else that caught my attention was the fact that everything we look up is sent somewhere and is added into an equation that determines what we would like to search when in reality we are searching for something on the opposite end of the spectrum. After learning this I decided to redo my research on who was Shakespeare, but this time taking into consideration what I learned from the video. I went to a search engine that does not have the Miss Cleo effect thus not giving me random searches but searches I specified fort. I went to duckduckgo.com for example. Another thing I did was put parentheses around my search words to make it specific. Once this was done all my searches didn't give me random websites about furniture or music but rather history sites and even PBS.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment